While we are all waiting for the tourism to starting off again in 2021, let's get into the mood of Christmas. In Austria, Christmas time is Christmas cookies time. Among the classics - and they are also my very personal favourites - are the 'Vanillekipferl'. Turn on some Christmas music and enjoy baking the tiny delights. The recipe? Here we go - for you :)!
The ingredients for 40 Vanillekipferl:
- 500 gr flour
- 160 gr powder sugar
- 400 gr butter - cut into small pieces
- 200 gr grated almonds
- 2 packages vanilla sugarFor the dust (topping):
- 5 eating spoons powder sugar
- 1 package vanilla sugar
The process - from the ingredients to the ready-to-eat Vanillekipferl:
- process all the ingredients into a dough and put it for one hour (wrapped into a plastic foil) into the fridge to rest.
- Put the dough onto the work surface (covered with flour) and form it into a roll with a diameter of approx. 3 cm. Cut the roll into approx. 1 cm thick slices and form the Kipferl - in the shape of a crescent. I like them best when they are not too tiny and not too large... For me they are best, when they have a diameter of about 2.5cm.
- Put the Vanillekipferl onto the baking tray and bake them for 12-15 minutes at 175 degrees Celcius (option: recirculating air) in the oven.
- Roll the still warm Vanillekipferl in the dust/topping mixture and only by them let them completely cool down.
The most important steps:
- Arrange the Vanillekipferl on a nice plate, put them on your festive Christmas table and
- ENJOY them :)!
My personal tipps for you:
- I love to serve a hot cup of fruity tea or hot mulled wine with the tiny, tiny delights.
- Also, friends, colleagues family members or other relatives certainly will be very happy to get a small box of self-made Vanillekipferl and maybe also other small Christmas cookies.
Let's share the Christmas feeling! Post in the comments a photo of your selfmade Vanillekipferl or favourite Christmas cookies - and maybe even how you enjoy them :)